BETA This is a beta service - your feedback will help us improve it.

news

DP World and CDPQ expand investment to USD8.2bn

Commit USD4.5bn for new investments in supply chain assets

START READING

DP World, a global infrastructure-led supply chain solutions provider, and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), a global institutional investor, have announced the expansion of their ports and terminals investment through a new commitment of USD 4.5 billion (CAD 6 billion), that will increase the total size of the platform to USD 8.2 billion (CAD 10.6 billion). DP World holds 55 percent share of the platform, and CDPQ the remaining 45 percent.

Since its launch in December 2016, the platform has invested in 10 port terminals globally and across various stages of the asset life cycle. The enhanced platform will continue to target assets globally, but with an increased scope to broaden its footprint in existing geographies, as well as new regions such as Europe and Asia Pacific. The investment platform will pursue its deployment and diversification objectives by expanding across a wider part of the integrated marine supply chain, such as logistics services linked to terminals.

According to DP World, the opportunity for the port and logistics industry is significant and the outlook remains positive as consumer demand triggers major shifts across the global supply chain. Best-in-class, well connected ports and efficient supply chains will continue to play an active role in advancing global trade and cultivating the business environments closest to their operations.

The enhanced platform will seek investments in high-quality port and terminal infrastructure assets that will help design the future of smart trade and logistics. The plan is to further diversify geographic reach and seize new opportunities in a sector that, even during a uniquely challenging period, is driven by long-term fundamental trends.

Despite the impact of COVID-19 and shifts in the global supply chain landscape, the ports sector has demonstrated a fair degree of resilience. Through recent strategic investments in automation and digital technology, DP World has strengthened its logistics capabilities, combined with maritime services operations and worldwide network of ports and terminals, to provide a full suite of end-to-end smart supply chain solutions.